It appears the trademark applications cover just about every aspect of the Web3 metaverse.
Meta, formerly Facebook, has filed eight trademark applications with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, or USPTO, relating to blockchain technology and its proposed metaverse. The applications and their fields of interest are as follows, organized by serial number:
- 97320155: Online social networking and dating services, including a specific branch tailored for networking between cryptocurrency investors.
- 97320153: Design and development of computer hardware and software relating to Web3, including gaming, e-commerce, blockchain transactions, etc.
- 97320149: Entertainment and electronic publishing services, partly within virtual reality.
- 97320147: Telecommunication services for electronic assets held on its platform.
- 97320146: Financial transaction processing services relating to tokens, blockchain assets, cryptocurrencies and other virtual assets.
- 97320144: Advertising services via virtual or augmented reality networks and the metaverse.
- 97320140: Wearable peripherals for video games connected to virtual reality.
- 97320136: Downloadable software in the nature of a mobile application, such as for user authentication, online charitable fundraising and most notably, for hardware or e-wallets.
It can take up to eight months for the USPTO to process trademark applications since their initial filing. Similarly, Monster Energy and the New York Stock Exchange have also recently filed trademark applications relating to digital assets and the metaverse.
Last week, Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Meta, said that Instagram would soon be integrating NFTs across its various products. But not all crypto ventures have turned out positively for the Web3 giant. Around the same time, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission took Meta to court over allegations it engaged in “false, misleading or deceptive conduct” by publishing scam celebrity crypto ads on its platform that allegedly resulted in losses for investors.